Thursday, June 28, 2012

European Edition: A review

Being back in the states for two days has afforded me the opportunity to reflect on our trip. People keep asking me the same two questions: What were your favorite and least favorite parts of the trip. Rather than just answering these questions, I decided to write a brief summary of our journey (if only I could include some sort of montage):

Note: these are my personal opinions and do not reflect the views of any other travel companion

Favorite city: Berlin (second place: Amsterdam)
- I think this decision was influenced heavily by the fact that my favorite part of the trip was watching the Germany match. Also, I love me some brats. Food and soccer aside, Berlin had everything I could want in a city (parks, bars, good public transit) without the congested feeling you get in smaller cities such as NYC or SF. Shout out to my man Janeck for showing us a good time.

Favorite meal: Pancakes! (second place: Burgermeester)
- Pancakes are a staple of Amsterdam cuisine, and for good reason. The Dutch know how to make a delicious flapjack. I chose Pancakes! because the combination of the lemon, sugar, and bacon made for an incredible breakfast experience. Burgermeester was also in Amsterdam, and the lamb burger I had was superb. To summarize, Amsterdam has great food.

Favorite activity: Germany soccer match in Berlin (second place: Eiffel Tower light show)
- As I have already mentioned, my favorite event was watching the Germany/Denmark game along with thousands of German fans. The atmosphere was incredible, and we managed to blend right in with our wigs and Mike's face paint. Unlike the French, German fans exercise proper flare usage and avoid inciting riots (although, to be fair, they did win). Second place was in the aftermath of said French riot when we got to witness the tower's light show. I highly recommend this to anyone who visits Paris.

Acknowledgements:

Special thanks to Alice, our wonderful travel companion, tour guide, and fellow riot spectator. Without her guidance and fluency in French, we would have certainly been bludgeoned with baguettes by an angry Parisian mob (or something like that).

Miscellaneous:

Number of times a Phillies t-shirt successfully identified fellow Philadelphians: 2
Number of times said Philadelphians were eccentric: 1 (looking at you Steve)
Number of times a phone was mistaken for an ATM by Matt: at least 2, but closer to 20
Number of times a laptop was left at the Newark security check: 1
Number of thorns still stuck in my leg: 2
Number of brats eaten in Germany: 7
Cost of a liter of cola: $14
Cost of a liter of gas: $2
Cost of a Heineken from a vending machine: $2

No comments:

Post a Comment